Free Marissa Alexander Now - Standing Our Ground Weekend - July 25-28, 2014 Jacksonville, FL
July 25-28, 2014
SisterSong is partnering with the Free Marissa Now Campaign to host Standing Our Ground: Raising Our Voices against Reproductive Oppression and Violence against Women the weekend of July 25-28, 2014 in Jacksonville, FL.
The weekend will begin with a Reproductive Justice 101 training on Friday followed by our RJ Institute on Saturday. This full day institute will have various panel discussions and breakout sessions where SisterSong's national member organizations, as well as activists across social change movements, human rights advocates, academics, and scholars will discuss some of the following topics: (1) The intersections of Reproductive Justice and the criminal justice system (2) How race, gender and sexuality play out in legislation such as the Stand Your Ground Laws (3) The increasing number of children who are left parentless due to the criminal justice system, and the impact this reality has on their lived experience.
The weekend will culminate with a direct action on Monday, July 28th. We will lead a march with the Free Marissa Now Campaign to the Duval County Unified Courthouse, to stand in solidarity with Marissa Alexander and in opposition to the reproductive injustices that this case and legislation has made public. Registration & sponsorship information is forthcoming.
Why is the Marissa Alexander case a RJ issue?:
- Marissa Alexander's human right to parent her children in a healthy and safe environment was violated due to domestic violence.
- Marissa Alexander's human right to live a self determined life and to bodily autonomy was violated due to domestic violence.
- Due to an unjust criminal justice system that lacks the ability to analyze and eliminate racial and gender bias within legislation such as the Stand Your Ground Law - which should be able to protect those in danger - Marissa Alexander, a Black mother, was imprisoned.
- Because of her imprisonment, Marissa Alexander was alienated from her children, which included her 9-day old breast fed daughter.
- Because of her imprisonment, Marissa's Alexander's daughter has been placed in the custody of her abusive husband while she fights for her freedom.
July 25-28 Weekend Details
Room Rate: $89/night. The designated reservation line to call is 888-233-9527.
Guests should ask for the Sistersong Annual National Membership Meeting. You must use this phone number to book the discounted rates, or make reservations via the link: https://resweb.passkey.com/Resweb.do?mode=welcome_ei_new&eventID=11273431
Cost of RJ Institute Registration - $50. Register for the RJ Institute at: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/standing-our-ground-2014-tickets-11409258399
Friday, July 25th - 9:30am- 4:30pm
RJ 101 Training - Open to the community of Jacksonville and for activists who haven't had the chance to experience SisterSong's premier training!
5:30pm-7:00pm - Meet & Greet at the Host Hotel (Crowne Plaza)
Saturday, July 26th - 9:00am- 6:00pm
RJ Institute at Host Hotel
Panel Discussion Topics include:
- RJ & the Criminal Justice System
- RJ & the Child Welfare System
- RJ & Violence Against Women
- So You Want to Talk About "Modern Day Slavery"?
- Doing Collectively What We Can't Do Individually!
- Southern Call to Action!
Sunday, July 27th - Free Afternoon
Take time to explore the city and rich history of Jacksonville
7:00pm - Free Marissa Now Benefit Concert
Monday, July 28th - Direct Action - 8:00am
Meet at Host Hotel to March to Duval County Courthouse
If you are unable to attend the Jacksonville event, but would still like to get involved in the Free Marissa Now Campaign, visit www.freemarissanow.org/take-action-now.html for direct actions.